August 23, 2012

Getting back into the groove part 1

Been some time since I've posted an update or anything for that matter. Summer here has been a busy one with plenty of work, running, and racing going on.

2012 has been quite the year so far. with 1,776 miles this year, i'm on track to conquer 2000 miles in one year, might even reach 2500! This would be a personal best distance wise as i have never even hit this amount of mileage before. Good things are coming! This summer alone i've completed two trail races, an epic adventure on July 4th, The Great Cranberry Island 50k Ultra-Marathon,  and a 10 miler.

The trail races held at Bradbury Mountain State Park so far have been epic. This 3 race series has a 6, 9 and 12 mile races. The first race in July which have i run once before went pretty much as planned. I went in with the goal to get a personal best on the course. I was able to best my time from 2009 by 1:30+ running 39:56 getting 3rd overall.  The second race, the 9 miler was a beast. Known as the Bradbury Breaker it nearly broke me! This race consisted of two loops of the park and dam was it brutal. The climb up the mountain itself was only about a 1/2 mile long, but it knocked me back. I ended u walking those section, but still able to keep up with the runner who was right in front of me. I highly suggest doing this for trail races as it really does save quite a bit of energy if you are climbing are really steep portion of trail. The next race in the series is the 12 miler in early September. I'm making my preparations now by getting in more trail running, both faster and longer runs on trails. I hope this will also help me prepare for well for the marathon by making some of my leg muscles stronger.

Keep tuned for part 2, where I'll talk about my 30+ mile adventure on July 4th, my 50k race, and up-coming happenings!

No comments:

Post a Comment