February 20, 2013

Take number....I lost count...lets reflect

Well after dealing with nagging hamstring issues after MDI, oh PR 2:54!, I dug myself into a deeper hole by running too much too soon. Nagging knee pain kept me from closing out 2012 on a good note and through the first couple of weeks into January it didn't look good. I slowly became frustrated and just really sick and tired of sitting around doing nothing. I think the call if the runner's blues, sort of like taper madness before a Marathon but much worse because your held back from even going out the door.

Finally i got a hold of myself. Started more strength work centered around the knees and hips (they're important) and really got inspired by my good friend, Gary Allen. Gary ran from Maine to DC in 14 days, yes it sounds daunting but a well seasoned runner like himself, 5 decades of sub 3hr marathons, could do it and he did. I crewed for him Monday and Tuesday early in January and it was at that point I realized i didn't need to be held back by my knee. I wanted to run, and RUN I was going to!

I jumped in with Gary for 20 miles, somewhere around 11-12min pace (3 1/2 hours). I loved it. Just happy to be back and running again. His 700 mile trek was a daunting and fairly spur of the moment adventure but his willingness to just DO IT gave me that extra push i had needed.

Now here I am..275 miles into the new year, getting in some solid workouts and finally getting long runs in again. It's day 51 of the Crow Athletics 100 day streak and at this point i just hope to beat last year's streak of 88 days.

Boston is what, 7 weeks away, and i can't wait for it. I've been thinking at night of what a nightmare last year was, it makes me want to work harder and want it even more. I'm going to hunt down that dam Unicorn this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment